After meeting with Dr. Curry I told him I'd like to have surgery while on Xmas break next month. I'll be on break until like the 1st week of January. So if i had surgery before that i could have some nice relaxing recovery time at home and get the hang of all the new things going on with my body before jumping into Spring Semester. I have a very high BMI of 59, they like their patients to be around a BMI of 40 to be safe for surgery. I recently found out that the reason for wanting patients to be at a lower BMI is to help lower the fat content of your liver. The liver is a very heavy organ and needs to be lifted during surgery. To help with safety it is ideal for you to lose some of that fat that surrounds your liver to make things easier.
So for me to have surgery around Xmas like i want i needed to go on a like super aggressive crazy high protein low carb diet. It's called the 3 & 2 plan. Of the 5 total meals 3 have to be either a protein shake or protein bar. I chose the Atkins bars and shakes, they are pretty tasty. :) The other 2 meals are a lean protein (like 6-7 oz) and 2-3 cups of greens. My selection of greens isn't very high. I can't stand collard greens so that's like not even an option. I've been pretty much just been eating salad, cucumbers and green beans. lol
Friday i had my last supper, lol, and so i officially started my new diet Saturday. I was doing okay for most of the day. By noon i was getting a mild headache. I survived the whole day and ate EXACTLY what i was supposed to and nothing more. I don't know how, but i did. lol
Sunday I again ate exactly what i was supposed to with no exceptions. I felt like i had more energy though which was nice. Normally i take a huge nap in the afternoon after church. But i only wound up taking a small one so i could be awake to eat my meals on time. Here it is 1am and I'm still doing great. I mean yeah I'm tired because its late. But normally I'd be super tired from getting only a small nap. Not to mention I'm hungry.
I weighed myself this morning out of curiosity to see if yesterday had made a difference yet. I didn't expect to see a number change because come on, it was only one day. But wouldn't you know it i lost 3lbs! Crazy! I don't think I'm going to weight myself again until Tuesday or Wednesday morning. I want to be surprised and am hoping i will have some more loss!
I'm off school tomorrow so i get to take it easy for one more day. Then the real work begins...mixing this diet and my weird school schedule...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~Justina
~Justina
Day 2, Pre-op Diet: -3lbs
I am going to follow your blog and your journey Justina. You are an inspiration to all of us. You can do this. Best wishes and look forward to being a part of this with you ;)
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Trish!! It's friends like you that will help me get through the tough days. <3
DeleteI thought I had commented the other day but I guess I didn't. I did the 2 weeks pre op diet a few years ago and lost 33 lbs. It is amazing how fast the weight comes off. I'm tempted to do it again to get a jump start on losing some more weight. Good luck!!!
ReplyDelete